Jessica Jones was feeling the summer heat like she had not anticipated it would be, then she decided to go to a store nearby to get herself a normal pair of sandals to enable her to withstand the scorching sun.
Jessica, a mom from Mississippi was in for another thing she could not have anticipated as she developed a very brutal allergic reaction to the component materials in the sandals.
It is common knowledge that our bodies react differently in various unique ways to many substances we come in contact with. They may result from exposure to plant parts, tiny scales shed from animal skins, cat hair and other furry animals, arachnids, dust, bees, wasps and even common drugs, such as penicillin. Our bodies react to some food items in dangerous ways, most common among them are nuts, sea foods, milk, and eggs.
Allergies are a common thing in the modern society, particularly because of the improved medical expertise.In the United States alone, more than 20 million people are reported to suffer from allergies.
Mrs.Jones case is one of those that many do not discover in their entire lives because they never came in contact with the allergen. The immune system usually treats a normal harmless compound like in the sandal as a harmful one and releases antibodies that causes allergy symptoms when the allergen is contacted again.
[rsnippet id=”4″ name=”DFP/34009881/Article_1″]
On this particular occasion, Jessica’s ankle became swollen and then turned really purple. Naturally, she was in shock at what had befallen her and she absolutely had no idea what she would do or what was causing the problem to her feet. A day after she started to wear the new pair of footwear, she started to observe large red spots appearing all over her ankles. Dire as her legs are turning out to be, she had no idea the sandals she had gotten the day before could be responsible.
Since she had no knowledge of something like this ever happening to anyone, she assumed she was bitten by a spider and went to see a doctor with that in mind. Immediately the doctor saw it, he could tell it was not a spider bite but he also misdiagnosed her condition, he thought she had cellulitis. The doctor sent her home with only a prescription drug of antibiotics.
[rsnippet id=”5″ name=”DFP/34009881/Article_2″]
Despite taking the drugs, she woke up the next day with more pain and blisters all over her ankles. She became more restless and worried about her condition, she explained that she did not know what to do, especially since she had seen a doctor and gotten treatment for it.
“It was definitely the craziest pain I have ever felt my whole life,” Jones told reporters. “The only thing I wanted to do was just sit down and cry.”
She resorted to her intelligence and drove to an emergency room at a Mississippi hospital. It was there the doctors gave her new diagnosis, she is said to have a rare skin condition caused by an autoimmune disorder, bullous pemphigoid.
“The whole thing got me really scared because I already thought they might have to amputate my feet. It was going through my mind the whole time,” she said.
Jessica felt this new diagnosis by the doctors at the emergency center was more accurate. There she was again prescribed some foot steroid cream and pills for the pain. She followed the prescription and orders to the letter but her blisters did not recede, they kept on growing.
She realized she had to get a third opinion and went to see another doctor who gave her another diagnosis. She kept on taking more drugs including pain killers, which dulled her pains but the blisters persisted as ever.
She didn’t think her sandals contributed to anything that is happening with her, and she continued to use them during her ordeal. About two weeks later, she slept and woke up and found out she could not walk. She called 911 and was taken to a Hospital in New Orleans.
[rsnippet id=”6″ name=”DFP/34009881/Article_3″]
The doctor immediately asked her as she got there if she’d be putting on new shoes in the last weeks. She accepted that she just got a new pair of sandals.
The doctor took the time to educate Jessica on how her new leather footwear gave her chemical burns.
She thought back to the day she got the shoes and said, “I noticed a few days after I got them that the top of my feet felt sore, but I ignored it. New shoes usually do that whenever I tighten up the straps.”
She threw away the shoes, and she has gotten better and able to walk now.
She concluded stating that what happened to her was the worst thing that happened to her in her life, she said “I don’t wish any of this on anyone. It was miserable”
Please SHARE with your friends and family to keep them on the look out!!